lundi 26 mai 2014

H.E.A.T - Tearing Down the Walls (2014) album review






Heralded with the title of Europe’s most talented successors, H.E.A.T is probably one of the best hard rock bands of this millennium. Deeply rooted in a classical 80s hair metal imagery, their heavy-on-keyboards formula has revealed a deep sense of melody, ever since their 2008 self-titled debut. For any other band, I would cringe and call it cheesy nut here, it’s part of this band’s appeal. I discovered them through their 2010 hit (no pun intended), Everybody Wants to Be Someone, from their second album Freedom Rock. Therefore, I would lie if I told you that there’s too much keyboards in their songs.

Between their second and third releases, H.E.A.T had to face their first line-up change : singer Kenny Leckremo, whose voice was undoubtedly one of the band’s main appeals, left. He  was officially replaced on 21 August 2010 by Erik Grönwall, winner of the 2009 edition of the Swedish Idol television contest. I must say, I had a bad feeling about such a choice, being such a fierce despiser of the remaining member of Queen embarrassing associating themselves with American Idol’s Adam Lambert. Weel, I digress, and I was wrong about H.E.A.T : 2012’s Address the Nation proved me that this singer was much more than a pretty face. His piercing clean voice hovers the best songs of the band’s career. 

So now, in 2014, comes the release of our Swedish rockers’ fourth album, Tearing Down the Walls. Is it the second release of H.E.A.T. mark II? Nope, there’s one more line-up change to notice, with the departure of guitarist Dave Dalone. But whatever reasons were behind this departure, the music itself doesn’t suffer from it.
The moody introduction of Point of No Return was surprising during my first listen but I must say that it showcases perfectly the interplay between guitarist Eric Rivers and keyboardist Jona Tee. And then BOOM – drums come crashing (see what I did here?) against your speakers, leading a foot-stomping, head-banging track.
The first song stresses other qualities that any listener will witness on the whole album: first, amazingly mixed drums. How can you not like Crash’s drum sound, seriously? The band also benefits from having a very, very talented guitarist. Now facing the task alone, I must say that it really impresses me : great riffs, nice solos without too much pointless wankery : H.E.A.T continues to dodge the dangers that killed hard rock music in the early 90s.



The album is full of great songs : Mannequin Show, with its disarticulated, gllomy melody, is my absolute personal favorite. It also showcases how this band knows how to produce catchy choruses, as does Point of No Return.  


 
But the thing that shines the most, thanks to its consistency throughout the majority of the songs is the production/ mixing choices applied to this album. The wall of rhythm guitars is present of nearly each and every songs, but it nevertheless allow the lead licks to breathe, even when its lower in the mix. 
The title track itself has to my humble opinion the potential of a rock-pop crossover hit, partly thanks to Erik Grönwall’s nice vibrato. 

 

All in all, I still consider H.E.A.T’s second effort, 2012’s Address the Nation, to be the band’s most consistent effort. Breaking the Silence is an album opener that’s hard to beat. But I think that the high points on Tearing Down the Walls are higher. Never mind line-up changes, H.E.A.T is a band that glows and shines brighter than ever.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire